Don’t let barbecue season pass without trying these recipe hamburger buns. What’s a cookout without burgers, and what’s a burger without a really great bun?
Trivia: Seymour, Wisconsin has a Hamburger Hall of Fame and holds a Burger Festival every August.
You’ll find three recipes for hamburger buns on this page. One is made with a bread maker, and two by hand. The last recipe calls for healthy whole wheat flour.
Tip: Use this recipe to make hot dog buns too! Just shape them, well, like a hot dog bun.
Now, back to your recipes. Cooking perfect hamburgers is simple when you use the right tools.
1-first Recipe Hamburger Buns
This recipe for hamburger buns is made in a bread machine.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3 1/4 cup flour
- Optional but recommended: Bread Dough Enhancer . Use per manufacturer's instructions.
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp water
- Add water, milk, egg, butter, salt, bread flour, sugar, and yeast to bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer. Use the dough/manual cycle. When the cycle is complete, remove dough from machine to a lightly floured surface. Knead, adding enough flour to make dough easy to handle. If dough is too elastic, cover and let rest 10 minutes before shaping. Form the dough of your recipe hamburger buns into 9 equal balls. Place on large greased baking sheet. Flatten balls into 4-in rounds; cover. Let rise in warmplace until doubled in size.
- Lightly beat egg white and 1 tablespoon water. Brush on buns. Sprinkle with sesame seed.
- Bake recipe hamburger buns at 375° for 12 to 15 minutes or until done.
2-Recipe Hamburger Buns
This recipe hamburger buns is a large recipe making 48 buns. If desired, cut the recipe in half or use some of the dough to make doughnuts.
- 4 cups scalded milk
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pkg yeast
- 11 cups flour
- Mix altogether. Place on floured surface and knead. The dough for recipe hamburger buns will be soft. Let rise in warm place. Punch down, then shape into 48 balls. Place balls on baking sheet. Let rise again. Bake 10 minutes in 400 degree oven, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking until browned.
3-Recipe Hamburger Buns with Whole Wheat
- 1 ¼ cups warm water (about 100F)
- 1/3 cup mild oil
- 1/4 cup sugar (or honey)
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour (or all-purpose flour)
- Combine water, oil, sugar and yeast. Mix thoroughly and then allow to rest for 15 minutes. Mix in the salt, egg yolk, flours, and combine until thoroughly mixed (at least 10 minutes). On a floured board, roll the dough out until it is about 3/4-inch thick. Cut circles of dough about 4-inch in diameter with a cutter.
- Place the buns on a cookie sheet, brush the tops with melted butter, and rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake recipe hamburger buns at 425F for 10 minutes or until golden brown.