Resplendent with herbs and made with healthy whole wheat flour, this herb bread recipe is a winner!
Trivia: Herbs are leaves of low-growing shrubs. Think parsley, chives, marjoram, thyme, basil, caraway, dill, oregano, rosemary, savory, sage, and celery leaves.
Recipe To Make Herb Bread
- 4 tsp granular yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup scalded milk
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 3/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour, divided
- Soak yeast in warm water in large bowl or basin for ten minutes. Use warm, not lukewarm water because the container absorbs heat and reduces temperature.
- Scald the milk and remove from heat. Add shortening, sugar, salt, celery seed, oregano, basil, curry powder, eggs and whole wheat flour. Beat hard for five minutes. Next add 2 cups of the white flour and mix in. Sprinkle kneading board with 1/2 cup of the remaining flour and knead 200 times. Return to bowl, cover and let rise in warm place for two hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn out on board sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup flour and knead 100 times. Divide in half. Shape your dough into two loaves, put into 2 well greased loaf pans. Moisten tops with water and sprinkle generously with more celery seeds. Let rise in warm place for one hour until 3/4 inch above rims of pans.
- Bake at 375° for 35 to 40 minutes.
- This fragrant herb bread recipe is a great addition to any meal.