Whole Wheat Oatmeal Bread Recipe
This whole wheat oatmeal bread comes in at only 83 calories a slice and has three times as much fiber as white bread.
Trivia: Rolled oats are made by rolling oat groats into flat flakes and then steaming and toasting them.
Whole Wheat Bread Recipe
You can choose between making two round loaves, baked on a baking sheet, or by making two rectangle loaves baked in two 8 inch by 4 inch loaf pans. Grease the pans you intend to use, and shape the loaves accordingly. Cover the whole wheat oatmeal bread loaves with greased waxed paper and allow to use again until double in size. This takes about an hour.
Top the two loaves with a topping. First, combine the egg white and the tbsp of milk. Brush this over the dough tops. Combine the dill seeds, celery seeds and 2 tbsp of rolled oats. Sprinkle on top.
Heat the oven to 400 °. Bake at this temperature for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F. Bake until the bread crust is brown and the loaves sound hollow when you knock on the bottoms. This usually takes 20 minutes or a bit longer.
Remove your whole wheat oatmeal bread from the pans and allow it to cool on racks. Then slice into 16 slices each and enjoy!
- 1 cup milk, 2%
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water warmed
- 1 package dry yeast (or one tablespoon)
- 4 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of wheat germ (optional)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon of 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon of dill seeds
- 1 teaspoon of celery seeds
- 2 tablespoonfuls of rolled oats
- First heat the cup of milk until it is hot. Add the brown sugar, oil and salt. Mix until the sugar dissolves, then cool until it is lukewarm.
- In a different bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water then add the yeast. Leave for ten minutes or until the mixture foams.
- In a larger bowl, combine the milk mixture with the yeast mixture. For best and easiest results, using a good electric mixer like the one above and beat in three cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. This takes three or four minutes.
- Slowly mix in the rolled oats and wheat germ. If necessary, add the remaining flour until mixture becomes a dough that is medium stiff. Flour a surface and turn the dough onto this surface for kneading. Knead about ten minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Grease a bowl. Turn the dough into the bowl and grease all sides. Cover and let rise until double. This takes about an hour.
- Punch the dough and turn it out onto a floured surface. Divide your whole wheat oatmeal bread into two equal parts. Shape each into a smooth ball. Cover and leave for ten minutes.